By Nelson, M
Read or Download Association for Jewish studies 1999- 24(1) PDF
Best jewish books
Moses Mendelssohn (17291786) used to be the optimal Jewish philosopher of his day and one of many best-known figures of the German Enlightenment, incomes the sobriquet the Socrates of Berlin’. He used to be completely all for the valuable factor of Enlightenment non secular pondering: the inevitable clash among cause and revelation in an age contending with person rights and non secular toleration.
- Challenging Colonial Discourse: Jewish Studies And Protestant Theology In Wilhelmine Germany (Studies in European Judaism, V. 10)
- Voices of Israel : essays on and interviews with Yehuda Amichai, A.B. Yehoshua, T. Carmi, Aharon Appelfeld, and Amos Oz
- Mediterranean Enlightenment : Livornese Jews, Tuscan culture, and eighteenth-century reform
- The Holocaust Averted: An Alternate History of American Jewry, 1938-1967
- Double Diaspora in Sephardic Literature: Jewish Cultural Production Before and After 1492
- Holocaust Literature of the Second Generation
Additional info for Association for Jewish studies 1999- 24(1)
See also J. , D. Loades(1984), p. 17. 120. H. E. Mayer,TheCrusades(Oxford,1988),p. 294. 121 Rather than markinga genesis, the associationbetween death, martyrdom,and celestial rewardin the First Crusaderepresentsa theological 122PetertheHermit'svision in Jerusalemin 1094"confirmed" the culmination. '24 To Lanfranc'sdismay, 121. G. M. Dreves,AnalectahymnicaXLV(Leipzig,1904),2, p. 78. QuotedfromErdmann, Originof theIdea of Crusade,p. 345. 122. One of the strongestadvocatesof the message of self-sacrificeamongthe officials of the Churchwas none otherthan Pope GregoryVII himself.
91. Habermann, Gezerot,pp. 19-20, originallypublishedby A. Berlinerin OzarTovy (1878), pp. 46-48. Focusingon the advantageslife has to offer,the reportdoes morethan associate the victims' sacrificeswith the terminationof the persecution;it insinuatesthatthe personalsacrificesresultedin the astonishingaccomplishof buddingJewish ments of the community,which becamethe birth-mother settlementsin northernEurope. Theseattacksresulted in numerouscases of mass suicide in the spring and summermonths of 1096.
Of R. Akivareceivesmoreattention;he is the most The martyrdom in Jewishmartyrological celebrated tradition. Ber. archetype to Akivathe question,"When 9, 14, 2, andYT. "This his as features death a to be worthyof long-awaited aspiration question of dying,and it mightbe assumedthatit alludesto Akiva'sexpectation Butas S. andYT Sotahin individual recompense. 71The allusionto Akiva'sexpectationof of latereditors. an individualrewardin returnreflectsthe understandings 69. Kid. 39b. 70. San. Z. 8b, 27b; Y.